Introduction to AI
Project Module (Cross-Cutting)
basic Space settlers Rules
- The simulator runs for a fixed amount of time steps, moving ships around and handling all collisions. At the end, a winner (or set of winners in the cooperative version) is declared.
- Turns: At every time step, you may choose any combination of the following actions.
- Accelerate your ship in some direction (turning and linear)
- Make a purchase (if your team has sufficient resources to afford the purchased item)
- Use a power-up (includes weapons and defensive mechanisms
- Once you have collected resources, there are a variety of purchases available to your team. You can buy additional bases, power ups that let you hold more energy or heal faster, shields, and additional weapons. In later projects, you will be able to purchase additional ships. Purchase costs start low but double with every purchase of that item.
- Scores: The score used for the game is chosen in the setup file. The method updateScores() in SpaceSettlersSimulator.java shows the full list of scores. Below is a partial list.
- Resources: Count up all the resources collected
- Kills: Count the kills
- KillAssistsAndCores: Count kills and assists and AI cores collected
- Flags: Count the flags collected
Space settlers objects
If a ship dies before getting its resources back to its base, the resources are lost but it drops an AI Core, which you can pickup and use to purchase other resources. This core is fragile and only lasts on the screen for a few bounces or hits, meaning it can be shot & killed.
AI cores are just circles with the letters AI inside them